Gingerbread House Contest
The Wonka Chocolate Factory in gingerbread and other edible materials.
The Holiday Port Gingerbread House Contest is one of the most popular events put on by the Port. Entries do not have to be houses - think of them as edible structures - and entries do not have to be made of gingerbread - but they must be visibly edible. This means that things like graham cracker
walls or melted blue Jolly Rancher water are acceptable. Just be creative and have fun!
The gingerbread house contest is free and open to bakers of all abilities and ages.
New for 2012 is a themed category, "Uniquely Whatcom" and anyone, of any age, and any group size, may choose to enter the theme category instead of one of the other categories. Don't want to follow the theme? You don't have to. Just pick from one of the other categories.
Many adults and children make a tradition out of entering the contest, and prizes are awarded for first place in each of the contest categories. This year Anthony's Restaurant at Squalicum Harbor will give a free appetizer or dessert card to the first 100 entries delivered to the Cruise Terminal on Dec. 5! (One per family)
Gingerbread Contest Frequently Asked Questions
How do I enter the contest?
What are the key dates, deadlines and pick up schedule for the contest?
- Entry Forms must be filled out and returned by Tuesday, Dec. 4, 2012.
- Edible structures must be delivered on Wednesday, Dec. 5, 2012, to the Bellingham Cruise Terminal (355 Harris Ave. Bellingham) between 10am - 5:30pm. If you must deliver at a different time, call Coordinator Marie Duckworth to schedule an alternate time at (360) 676-2500 x384.
- Public display of all entries will be at the Holiday Port Festival Friday, Dec. 7, from noon - 8:00pm; Saturday, Dec. 8, from 11am - 6pm; and Sunday, Dec. 9, from 11am - 4:30pm. Learn more about Holiday Port.
- Pick up schedule for gingerbread houses - All Silent Auction House Winners will be called using the phone number provided on the auction sheet. Auction winners may pick up houses from 4:30 - 5:30pm Sunday, Dec. 9, and Monday, Dec. 10 through Wednesday, Dec. 12 from 11:30am-1pm and 4:00 - 5:30pm daily. Members of the Red Cross will be on site to coordinate payment and pick up. All houses not picked up by 5:30pm on Wednesday, Dec. 12 will be discarded or donated.
- If your gingerbread creation is NOT in the silent auction, you may pick it up any time after 4:30pm on Sunday. All houses not picked up by 5:30pm on Wednesday, Dec. 12 will be discarded or donated.
What are the categories and Rules for the gingerbread contest?
- Categories include: Youth 5 and Under, Youth K-3rd Grade, Youth 4th-8th Grade, Youth 9th-12th Grade, Family, Adult, Senior 65 or Older, Business/Non-Profit, Professional Baker/Caterer, and our new themed category, "Uniquely Whatcom" Read all the rules at the bottom of the online entry form.
What is the gingerbread silent auction?
What is the People's Choice Award? ?
- Everyone who attends the Holiday Port Festival will get a chance to vote for their favorite contest entry, and the winner becomes our People's Choice Winner. The People's Choice Winner receives a trip for two from San Juan Cruises on their Friday Harbor Adventure Cruise.