In 2013 Martin Associates was retained by the Port of Bellingham to conduct the Port’s Economic Impact Study, including the impacts generated by the Port’s operating division activities – Aviation, Real Estate and Maritime divisions. At the request of the Working Waterfront Coalition of Whatcom County and Whatcom Commercial Fishermen’s Association, in 2014 the Port of Bellingham tasked Martin Associates to conduct an additional, stand-alone and focused study to highlight the specific economic impacts of commercial fishing vessels that use the Port's Squalicum and Blaine Marinas.
Commercial fishing activity at Squalicum and Blaine marinas generated the following impacts in Whatcom County:
• 1,781 direct jobs with an additional 870 induced jobs generated through spending by the direct job holders with other businesses
• $13.3 million of local purchases by the firms located at the Port’s marinas contributing an additional 165 indirect jobs, for products and services used by the commercial fishing industry
• The 1,781 direct job holders earned $94.5 million in wages & salaries.
• $320 million in revenue from the purchases by the fishing fleet at the Port’s marinas (this does not include the landed value of the fish catch).
• State and local governments received nearly $16 million of tax revenue from the activity generated by the commercial fishing fleet.