Northwest Shipbuilding Company

From 1942 to 1944, Pacific American Fisheries leased its shipyard to the Northwest Shipbuilding Company, which formed in response to World War II to construct military vessels for the US Army and US Navy. The Northwest Shipbuilding Company invested approximately $150,000 to enlarge and modernize the 12-acre property at the end of Harris Avenue in Fairhaven. This effort included the construction of a marine railway, 11 shipways, a new machine shop (known as the Carpenter Building), and the Harris Avenue Pier. Most of the site was located on land west of where the Bellingham Cruise Terminal stands today.