Air Traffic Control Information
BLI TOWER TIPS
- Remember to turn your radio volume up before you call for taxi and never turn it down while operating within the Class Delta airspace or on the movement areas.
- Know what you need to say before you key your mic. In your initial call, tell the tower/ground the following information:
1. Who you are
2. Where you are
3. The ATIS code
4. What you want to do
- Listen to the frequency before you transmit. If you hear tower/ground issue instructions to another aircraft wait for that aircraft to respond before you call unless you have an emergency or imminent situation that requires immediate attention.
- The tower is required to get a read back of all runway assignments, clearances and hold short instructions. Your read back is NOT complete without your call sign.
- At times BLI tower is operating with a single controller - Be patient. The controller may need to set priorities but will respond to you in time.
- After initial call up you may drop your full call sign and just say your type and the last 3 digits. This reduces frequency congestion.
- Inform ATC if unable to comply with an instruction issued. The controllers will plan other actions around your ability to comply with an instruction.
- Inform ATC if you do not understand a control instruction. We have no problem rephrasing instructions and talking it out until we are all on the same page.
- If you want other than a landing clearance let the tower know. A clearance to land is not a clearance to do a touch and go, etc., separation standards change depending on the type of operation.
- When exiting the runway continue forward until your entire aircraft is past the hold line.
- "Roger" lets the tower know that you heard them. Use "Affirmative" and "Negative" to answer yes and no.
Have a safe and enjoyable flight.
A NOTE FROM THE TOWER MANAGER
The goal of the BLI tower team is to provide each pilot a safe flying environment and deliver great customer service. These tower tips are provided to help us work together to meet that goal.
Please feel free to call me at 360-734-2745 or email me, the tower manager. I welcome your input so we can continue to improve our services. I invite you to complete a quick survey to give your views of the service provided you by BLI tower.
Bellingham Tower Air Traffic Manager
- Air Traffic Control Tower Hours of Operation 0700-2230 Local
- CTAF/Tower 124.9
- Ground Control 127.40
- ATIS 134.45
- Pilot Controlled Lighting 124.9
- After Hours 2230-0700 Local
- CTAF 124.9
- UNICOM 131.3
- ASOS 134.45 360-671-8688
- Clearance Delivery Victoria Terminal 132.7
- Seattle FSS 800-WX-Brief